The conversion of a historic Wirral building into apartments has been recommended for approval.
Andrew Gibson House in Egremont was built in 1906 to provide shelter for the widows of merchant seaman.
The building’s owner Nautilus Welfare Fund and applicant Gibson House Limited have been working on a solution which would see the derelict Wirral landmark renovated into apartments and the creation of a new residential scheme.
Plans were submitted in June 2018 to convert the impressive Edwardian building into 34 apartments and the restoration of an adjacent lodge.
A trio of apartment blocks comprising a total of 98 homes and three standalone houses are also part of the proposals.
Derelict for a number of years, the main house was named after Andrew Gibson, a wealthy cotton merchant.
Constructed in his memory by his son, the property overlooks Egremont Promenade and the River Mersey.
A report to Wirral Council’s planning committee is recommending the project for approval next week (14 February).