• landlords

Landlords warned council ‘will take action’ against those risking lives

Landlords are being warned to keep their fire safety measures in check after Liverpool’s licensing team secured an emergency closure of a property.

The privately rented flats were found to have fire door problems, a dangerous electricity meter and smoke detectors which didn’t work during a compliance visit this week.

Following the closure of the Walton property on Grey Road, Liverpool City Council’s cabinet member for housing, Councillor Frank Hont, says: “We are determined to drive up the standard of private rented accommodation in this city and will not hesitate to take action when we find landlords putting their tenants at risk.”

The landlord licensing team attended the property, which is converted into six apartments, following concerns raised by councillors, police and neighbours over anti-social behaviour.

A closure notice was secured by the end of the day after fire safety defects were discovered, including the automatic fire detection in common areas being completely disconnected from the electrical supply and fire detection in some individual flats not working.

Fire door defects are also said to have posed a risk of smoke and flames blocking the escape route, and the electrical meter was found to have been bypassed.

Cllr Hont adds: “This house was a potential death trap and was putting tenants at serious risk of injury, or even death. We used our powers under Landlord Licensing to inspect it and secured a closure order.”

The council’s housing options service is supporting tenants of the property, which was also found to have problems with faulty heating (pictured), broken windows, damp and mould, into alternative accommodation.

The landlord will be instructed to carry out remediation work.

About Author: Natasha Young

Natasha Young is our Editor. She can be contacted by email natasha@movepublishing.co.uk or by phone on 0151 709 3871.